It's true, despite Saturday Night Live satirical rap lyrics, and multiple other references in the media, Sarah Palin has never shot a moose. She revealed this little known fact on Fox News with GRETA VAN SUSTEREN November 11, 2008:
VAN SUSTEREN: Who shot the moose, though?
PALIN: I think that maybe my dad did, or maybe my mom did. I just grab some moose meat out of the freezer because we didn't have any moose meat in our freezer the last couple of days.
VAN SUSTEREN: You stole moose meat from your parents?
PALIN: I did. We stole moose or caribou hot dogs from them too. I don't know what it was. They we're marked on the package
VAN SUSTEREN: Explain to me why you don't shoot moose?
PALIN: Because caribou hunts are for me a lot easier. They're easier to take the kids on a caribou hunt walking through the tundra, the area there. It's just been easier.
But if I had an opportunity I would shoot a moose, too. It all depends on what permits you to get that season, also.
At age 17, Sarah Palin did help the family butcher a freshly-shot moose
And she did shoot a caribou:
In 2007, Palin supported a 2003 Alaska Department of Fish and Game policy allowing the hunting of wolves from the air as part of a predator control program intended to increase moose and caribou populations for subsistence-food gatherers and other hunters. In March 2007, Palin's office announced that a bounty of $150 per wolf would be paid to the 180 volunteer pilots and gunners, to offset fuel costs. Wildlife activists sued the state, and a state judge declared the bounty illegal on the basis that a bounty would have to be offered by the Board of Game and not by the Department of Fish and Game.
- At Home With the Palins: FOX NEWS Wednesday, November 12, 2008
- I Taught Sarah Palin to shoot and butcher a moose, Washington won't scare her. The SUN
- deMarban, Alex (March 21, 2007). "State Puts Bounty on Wolves", Anchorage Daily News.
- Alaska Department of Game and Fish (May 11, 2007). "Governor Palin Introduces Bill to Streamline Predator Management Laws". Press release.
- deMarban, Alex (March 31, 2007). "Judge orders state to stop wolf bounties", Anchorage Daily News.
Add Your Comment:
You must be logged in to post a comment.